Skip to content
Project Initiation Checklist
- Why are you doing the research (background)?
- What are the arguments you would like to be able to make (aims)?
- What exact questions do you want to be able to answer (what hypothesis are you disproving)?
- Is it actually possible to do well?
- What research method(s) are you planning to use?
- How are you going to collect/structure the data?
- What analysis is required from the data (will it be robust enough)?
- What end products do you hope to produce?
- Have you thought through the ethics of doing the research (ethics approval required)?
- Who is undertaking the research (do you have all skills/knowledge required)?
- What is your population/target group?
- How are you going to sample that population (access)?
- How representative will that sample be (are there biases/selection issues)?
- Do you need a control group for comparison?
- How willing will sample be to share data/opinions (response rates)?
- What are the deadlines for publication (timeline)?
- Do you need trend data (if so are there changes in methods/legislation that impact this)?
- How long does this give for field research?
- Are there any issues around timing in terms of access to people/data/etc (e.g. financial records)?
- Are the timelines realistic or do you need to rethink above?